Our October 2019 Charity Partner: Prevent Breast Cancer
We're thrilled to announce our October 2019 charity partner, Prevent Breast Cancer. A brilliant charity working hard to prevent breast cancer for future generations. This month you can help us support them and raise funds for their research!
About Prevent Breast Cancer
Prevent Breast Cancer is the only UK charity funding ground-breaking research solely aimed at preventing breast cancer for future generations. We love the work they are doing, helping to reduce the risk of breast cancer by identifying ways we can prevent it, be it through lifestyle changes or getting mammograms earlier in our lives.
Here’s their mission statement:
Our research will one day bring about a world where breast cancer is preventable, and thousands of lives are saved from ever experiencing this terrible disease.
We predict, we prevent, we protect.
We predict – by identifying who is at risk of breast cancer
We prevent– by offering preventative interventions, to stop breast cancer before it starts
We protect – our goal is to shield future generations from breast cancer
Imagine a world without breast cancer. Where there is no before or after diagnosis.
We know we can put an end to this devastating disease. But we need your support.
Together we can protect our future generations. Together we can PREVENT BREAST CANCER.
Steps you can take to prevent breast cancer:
Reduce your risk – step by step. Here’s six steps as recommended by Prevent Breast Cancer’s research that can put you at lower risk of getting breast cancer…
- BE BREAST AWARE: Learn how to check your breasts and make sure you’re familiar with how they normally look and feel. Here’s a great video from another favourite charity of ours, Coppafeel! That helps summarise what changes to look out for. If you’re aged between 47 and 73, take advantage of the breast screening you will be offered in the form of regular mammograms.
- MAINTAIN A HEALTHY WEIGHT: Our research has found that having a Body Mass Index of between 18 and 25 lowers your risk of breast cancer. If you’re already overweight, losing just 5% of your weight (and keeping it off!) can reduce your risk substantially – by between 25 and 40%. Eat more fruit, vegetables and wholegrains while avoiding processed foods which are often high in sugar and fat. You’ll find more dietary advance of PBC’s website: https://preventbreastcancer.org.uk/breast-cancer-research/research-projects/diet-and-lifestyle/
- BE PHYSICALLY ACTIVE: Aim for five exercise sessions a week, lasting 35 to 45 minutes each. PBC’s research has found that as well as reducing the risk of developing breast cancer, exercise can lower the risk of the disease coming back (recurrence) if you’ve already been diagnosed. So, grab your sports bra and get active!
- DRINK ALCOHOL SENSIBLY: Alcohol increases the risk of breast cancer. If you choose to drink, you can help keep your risk of developing breast cancer from alcohol low by limiting your intake to 14 units a week. The more you cut down on alcohol, the more you reduce your risk. Spread your drinks evenly throughout the week.
- HORMONES: Research has found a link between oestrogen hormone and breast cancer. Aim to stop using oral contraceptives when you’re around 30 – speak to your GP about the alternatives available to you. Limit your use of Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) to a short time and avoid using this continuously for years. Breast feeding can help lower your risk of breast cancer and we recommend that if possible, you breastfeed your baby for at least six months.
- GENE TESTING: If several of your family members have had breast or ovarian cancer, or your mother or sister was diagnosed with the disease before the age of 50, you may want to discuss gene testing with your GP. It’s important that you undergo proper counselling before making any decisions about being tested. Should you carry the gene that increases breast cancer risk, it’s likely that you’ll be offered a range of preventative options going forward, including regular screenings.
For more advice and informative videos from Prevent Breast Cancer, visit their website: https://preventbreastcancer.org.uk/about-breast-cancer/awareness-videos/
3 ways you can support Prevent Breast Cancer this October:
- Buy a new sports bra! We will be donating 5% of profits from all sports bra sales this month to PBC, so now is the best time to invest in a new one.
- Do our Virtual 5K: All profits from our virtual 5K will be donated to Prevent Breast Cancer. It’s easy to sign up and you can walk, run, bike, swim or dance your way through 5K! Plus, you get one of our limited-edition boob medals! Sign up here: https://www.boobydoo.co.uk/virtual-run-sign-up
- Donate £1 and enter our prize draw! You can enter the prize draw to win an amazing goodie bag of energy balls, a bespoke Kettleboob, a handmade TitPot and a limited edition MYGA yoga mat! Simply donate an additional £1 at checkout in the shipping options for your stake in the game!